Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Week 2

Our second project is to design three typefaces that will be used in a future project. In preparation, we are to format the same body copy for film, phone, and web. This exercise gave me a better feeling for how type is designed to be used in different contexts.

From the articles I read, I learned that typography on the web has come a long way in the past decade. Originally, there were only 10 basic fonts that could be used on the web because they had to be already present on the user's computer. I also learned that it is now incredibly easy to create your own fonts to be used digitally. I didn't realize that digital fonts had existed as early as the 1960s either. It was especially useful to learn about the variety of sites that fonts can be obtained from, because previously I was only aware of Dafont, Adobe Typekit and Google Fonts. Now I have an even greater variety to choose from.

After doing a bit of research, I've begun prototyping my own typeface. For my first concept, I opted for a geometric style.







No comments:

Post a Comment